Wednesday, April 29, 2015

More Than Merely a Sandwich!

I took my last final today and for better or worse the semester is almost over. I was on my way home and stopped by the store to get a few things I needed. I shopped quickly as the list was short, and there was a young man with many tattoos that I kept crossing paths with during my short visit through the store. My spirit stirred knowing there was a story to come.

I chose the register that seemed to be the shortest and the young man was in front of me with an older woman (perhaps seventies). Her card was declined and they were debating what to keep and what to put back. He was stirring, gazing at me, obviously embarrassed and uncomfortable. I felt for them. I stirred, remembering all the times I had been faced with the same thing.

It came down to a sandwich. They couldn't get it and took it off the check. After paying the bill, the woman even tried one more time to get the sandwich on a separate transaction. The card was declined. Something about his reaction made me feel like that sandwich was more than just a sandwich to him. He told the woman he would wait outside. As he walked away, his spirit heavy, I felt compelled.

I asked the clerk how much the sandwich was and paid the total. The woman hugged me, tears in her eyes and told me that her son was battling cancer and she had felt inadequate because she couldn't get the sandwich for him. She thanked me. I asked their names (Dennis and June). Please pray for their strength of spirit, their courage to face this beast together.

I would like to thank each and every one of you who ever held me up when I was down, whether helping me with food, or bill money, giving me rides when I was without a vehicle or allowing me to stay with you while I was homeless. I am blessed beyond measure.

Much love,
Lady RAin.

No comments:

Post a Comment