Thursday, January 8, 2015

Life!

There are no words that will ever suffice the loss of an unfinished young life. Still, as a lyricist, I wrote a poem, I made some commitments to myself and to this life unfinished. I promise to never allow his lost life to be in vain.

I weep
Although my tears feel stolen
Less than one week
After his fortieth birthday
No man should suffer
The loss of his son
Life
Mine or yours
Does one have more value
Than another?
How do we uncover the love
Being smothered by the hatred?
We have been weighted down
By diffidence too long
The dissonance
Does not become
The song
We are wrong in this war we wage
Souls to save
What is the price of a life?
The strife puts pressure
On the spine
Keeps us from remembering
Why we are Divine
Sublime images of joy
A father who loved his boy
Toiled long
And carried much weight
Anticipated greatness
In these social causes
He waved flags of justice
Why must this go on?

I promise you as I step forward into new levels of awareness and heightened social activism, I will allow your unfinished life to be a catalyst for me to do all I can to end this era and help those who have been working so hard to create new social systems for us to realize their dreams. I will honor your memory for the rest of my life and never let a day go by when I do not consider you. You shall not have died in vain.

No comments:

Post a Comment