Thursday, January 8, 2015

The next step.

I have watched Life Malcolm Stand Tall for every life stolen too soon. I sat next to him as he spoke about the atrocity of the police breaking all boundaries and accusing him and his family of animal cruelty for his beloved dog JJ. I have learned much from him over the past few years. I admire his strength, his stamina, his courage. He is afraid of nothing. He speaks when things must be said and he rallies much support from a community willing to come together and make waves of necessary change. I joined Uhuru after counseling with him. I wanted to do more, be more, move forward in this warfare against capitalism, against inequality.

When I received the news that his son had been murdered, my heart shattered in so many pieces. There are no words that can bring him back. There are no words that can right this wrong. Yet, as I lay awake in my bed, tears streaming down my cheeks, I knew that I must not allow his young Life lost to be in vain.

Life Jr. had his whole life ahead of him. He leaves sisters and family that care deeply for him. This tragedy has been a catalyst to lead me to the next open door. I must do more!

I was walking with a peer of mine on campus today. I was speaking of this great loss and speaking of my need to do more. I was discussing Uhuru with him, and talking about Doctor Yeshitela. I am in the midst of reading "An Uneasy Equilibrium". I am reading it slowly because it is a lot to digest. I was telling my friend that I would love for him to borrow it and read it once I was done. I was expressing to him how I felt a connection that made me believe he and I were meant to do work together. As we exited the building on campus that we were walking through, There were representatives from Uhuru with a table set up with the latest breaking news of actual truth to a people who have no idea what is actually going on in the world we live in.

We gathered in a circle. Expounded on our surrounding conditions, what we know must be done. We spoke of Life and his son. We cried. We communed. Sunday, after the funeral, Uhuru has a convention that will be held. I know that I must be present.

My friend and I walked away amazed by the power of the Universe that surrounds us. There is certainly so much pain. Tragedy. Injustice, but there is also love, hope and some good old fashioned magic. I was taken away by the fact that here I was telling him about Uhuru, Dr. Yeshitela and there they were, spreading the truth!

There are a lot of things I will be begin working on because of this great loss. I have given my vow to give my all for my entire life, and it is time to step up my game and move forward through that waiting open door.

I pray that all of you who read this will remember those we have lost this past year alone. I hope that you will all reach out to your community around you and be all that you can possibly become. I pray that for every life lost, you will in turn live yours to the fullest. Comfort those who are facing their tragedies.

We have been beaten. We have been lost. We have been raped. We have been hungry. We have been homeless. We are one human race. May we the people take back the reins and remember where we came from. Love one another. You never know when someone you love may be taken away.


No comments:

Post a Comment