Monday, May 16, 2016

The Man In The Window

Last night's show was amazing! I got called out of the room to have a brilliant spiritual message delivered to me. It cost me some time on the mic, but it was well worth it in the long run. As it turns out, I was all amped up for the show all day and didn't get enough catharsis, so I had to go back to Press Coffee today and had to sit back at that beautiful baby grand and play! As I was sitting there in the precious Rochester sunshine, I remembered the man in the window last night as I played "Gaze"...

So, I have to share this story. Usually, when I play "Gaze" I preface it with the story of why I wrote it, what it means to me and so forth. Last night, I strangely did not, and as I sat at the piano, the story of how I wrote it played itself out in real time. Allow me to explain.

Just before my first journey to New York City, I wrote "Gaze" with the intentions of getting us all to stop and think about connections that we feel with one another a little longer before we walk away. I think we would all agree that there are times we make eye contact, and we feel this exquisite connection. Now, it might be physical, mental, emotional, spiritual...we know for sure there is an exchange that needs to be made, but sometimes we simply turn and walk away. Sometimes, it is our insecurities. Whatever the case may be, whatever it is that we are afraid of, we miss the moment we were supposed to share with the reflecting soul.

So as I was playing "Gaze" last night, this older black man, well dressed and rocking a Fedora, came to the window and watched me play. He stood mesmerized for nearly the entire song. I made eye contact with him, and stared at him as he was watching me do what I do best. Toward the end of the song, he turned and walked away. I watched him retreat down the sidewalk, pause at the entrance, and continue down his path away from what intrigued him. I couldn't believe how perfect this was! My storyline that inspired the lyrics for my song, "I don't even know your name, love. I shouldn't have let you walk way..." were taking place before my very eyes.

As I rose from the piano, Krysis exclaimed about the man in the window, recognizing the irony. I then expressed my joy at the synchronicity of the Universe. Obviously, I was meant to tell my story. The crowd now had an even deeper connection to the title track for my upcoming fourth album, "Gaze". I just had to share...Thank you all for your constant love and support. You mean the world to me.

2 comments: