Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Winnie the Pooh

It was a very strange day for a birthday, (in my very best Winnie voice)...But I have honey in my cupboards...and hey, I am not in the hospital.

This may go down as a very strange birthday indeed, full of elements that I did not need. But surpassing even the gifts and the shortcake, I am grateful.

Today, I got to see my niece Rilee stare with wonder into her first very own fishtank. I saw many people inconvenience themselves and go out of their way to be near me, to make me happy. My Mother who cannot travel after dark and would be unable to be at the party my sister was throwing, brought angel food cake and strawberries and whip cream to my sisters work so we could have it at the party. It is a tradition that my mother has upheld in very strange situations. She once even mailed the Publix Angel food cake to Rochester in the care of Paul so he could make it for me with money so he could buy the strawberries and whip cream.

My father who drives for a living and had already been driving all day drove well out of his way to return me safely home. My sister Cassi full time mother and full time boss made eggplant parmesan for me and threw the party orchestrating even small details.

Kirstie sat in between two car seats and two tired babies in the back of the Charger so that she could be present for me.

Cali also works full time and mothers two beautiful children found out some news that she could have excused herself and stayed home and I would have understood. But she came with my gorgeous neice Lily and made the best of it all.

What I am trying to say, is sure it really upset me that I had to back out of the show tonight. It upset me that I am so unable to control the flow of my life without a vehicle. I missed my large extended family in the ROC. But, at the end of the day I am sitting a few feet away from the most beautiful card I have ever received (from my Father), and I found the ring from my Mother I thought had been lost or stolen in the hospital visit. My phone never stopped all day blowing up with well wishes for my thirty fifth. I am loved.

And sure, there are some things that happened today that should not have. There is no one I can depend on like I can depend on myself. But, I was reminded all day long how much I am loved, respected, and that is priceless!

Thank all of you who reached out to me today. Thank all of you who have sat around my feast tables so many birthdays prior. Thanks to my family for being there tonight. For my sister for cooking and cleaning after a long day of work. Thanks to my father for that moving card. Thanks for being a part of my special day, as odd as parts of it may have been.

I love you all!

2 comments:

  1. I am glad that you are intelligent enough to see all that happened today in a POSITIVE light, hermanita mia. SO many people love you for the LIGHT you shine upon ALL of us at any given moment, and I feel so blessed to have been your close friend, your SISTER, as it were, for the past 15 YEARS! We've been through SO much together, you & I, and I feel that you know me better than most people. THANK YOU for encouraging me to be my TRUE self, no matter what...that was a valuable lesson for me to learn and I have stuck to it, tried & true. You have also brought out the creativity in me, as you do in all the lives you touch. That is a GIFT from God. Keep doing what you're doing. I am no poet, but I do know one thing: you have a BEAUTIFUL soul and a PURE heart and I cherish the times I can spend with you. You lift me to new heights and give me so much STRENGTH! I'll never forget that boatride, not as long as I live. It touched my soul in a way I cannot even describe. It gave me new hope...and now, I must stop writing, as I have brought myself to tears...but these are tears of JOY, for I know that our friendship will last FOREVER, ma soeur! Je t'aime beaucoup! BON ANNIVERSAIRE DE 35 ANS! May it be your BEST year ever! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am just seeing these momentous words today. I am actually speechless. I am honored deeply. I love you. Onward, we march (run, dance, walk)...~~*~~...

    ReplyDelete