Tuesday, June 12, 2018

Power to Pray

In between parched, pressed lips
The tip of my tongue sticks
To the roof of my mouth
I'm devout
In everything I do
So even my sadness is the truth
You waltzed into my life
With your deep and penetrating eyes
Like a lone wolf
You skirted the sidelines
Weaving in and out of my consciousness
You were a mixture
Of overwhelming pain
And penetrating bliss
This is not what I asked for
But I must believe
That since we are here
It is everything I need
And now your seed grows in my belly
And soon
Unto us a child will be born
So I could scorn this chapter
In my life
Or I can decide to press forward
And survive
On every breath I take
I thrive
Making the best of everything
That keeps me alive
In between pulsating pixels
I glimpse this ever growing picture
Sipping on my mixture
Of aloe and ginger
Whispering wishes to the sky
In between pressed pages
Of penetrating truth
My soul simply prays for you
Praying that we would be happy and blessed
Loving together
As we pass every test
Laughing and living as we build and grow
That of us true love
Our daughter will know
So let me check the cadence
Of your hundred percent
Let me check the fruits of your labor
To ensure they don't ferment
Let me stretch my soul
Toward yours and bend
Like a flower in the direction of your love
So I slip on my gloves
For my carpal tunnel
And funnel my anger
Into the piano and play
Sway me not with your
Sweet talk and poetry
But sway me rather
With your level of honesty
Promise me you will always
Offer up your best
In between pressed flowers and you
Lies the energy that offered me
The power to pray

No comments:

Post a Comment