Monday, March 11, 2013

Won

There is not much we do not have the power to change. Any one who states that one person cannot make a difference should pick up a book by Dr. King, Gandhi, Malcolm X, Mother Theresa, etc.

We are living in a time where we should be experiencing some trepidation over the precarious "balance" of our planet. We are responsible for all that is taking place upon her daily. We all can do more to perpetuate prosperity, health, and balance to all beings, to all life. We have a future to consider. What are we leaving for our coming generations? What marcation will we leave behind? What score are we composing upon Her soil? What is wrong with our focus?

My campus recently built a beautiful new building with much green technology. We even have a water bottle re-filler to reduce waste, and many elements that make this building particularly green. We use a large portion of natural lighting to reduce energy use. However, the Cafe which is now located in said new building continues to use Styrofoam! I approached the regional manager of the Cafe on opening day. He was receptive and polite; however, nothing has changed.

As most of you know the details of how horrendously harmful this material is for our planet, we all must claim responsibility to make a difference daily. So, I approached the Provost of my Campus and have a meeting scheduled for tomorrow at three pm. I encourage all of you to do similar things in all veins of ecological or even economic concern. We are facing a precarious age. We must act NOW!

As I bought my breakfast in the Cafe, the manager served me on a paper plate and the man behind me questioned if I was allergic to Styrofoam. I was polite in my answer and somewhat poetic as I stated, "No, but you could say our Planet is." He did not get it. I broke down to him the fact that it takes several decades for Styrofoam to even begin to break down and when it does it releases detrimental toxins into our bio-systems. I understand it is cheap, but is it worth the damage?

He said, "Oh! What does it matter? I am gonna die soon anyway." I became terse and said that he was a part of the problem and why not be a part of the solution. I further stated that one person can make a difference and he should be a part of helping our planet and our future generations. He said he had seen one person make a difference and, "Good luck with that!"

I became angered as his energy exacerbated an already unsteady situation. I asked him why bother getting an education then if he was merely going to die soon? He said he wished to better himself. I was completely caustic on my soap box at this point and asked him if he realized that he had just contradicted himself. I was amused by his lack of passion and his utter ignorance and became curious as to what degree he was pursuing. I was horrified as he said he was to become a Psychiatrist. He was later forties to early fifties: a person who should by now have the life experience that would have prohibited some of his juvenile additions to our "conversation".

I wonder if he will tell his clients, don't worry about getting out of bed or facing their depression...since they are merely going to die soon!

Outraged.
All my Warriors rise.
Our time is NOW!

Won,
RAin.

No comments:

Post a Comment