Friday, December 23, 2011

Dance like no one is Watching!

One of my dearest friends has recently returned to school to attain a degree in Dance Therapy. She is a very calm soul. She exudes grace and finds it hard to cry in public. I always am amazed by her collected presence. Since she announced to me several months ago that she would be returning to school to further her education, I have found myself dancing patterns through routine or even stressful times of my day. Now, those of you that know me well know I am not a natural or gifted dancer. However, I am a natural and gifted musician and have always longed for that rhythm to find its way to my limbs as I expressed myself though dance. The old phrase, "Dance like no one is watching" means a lot to me. I long for that kind of freedom. To watch genuine souls praise dance or really cut loose at a concert, you see a fervor, a heat that only pure passion can shine forth. So now I have begun to take it one step further. I have recently relocated to Tampa, Florida to further my education. Music Therapy. It is a vein of psychology and everything now has begun to wear shades of my degree yet to come. I am seeing the world in a new way! My young niece, Joey, has added to this wealth of view. She is already choreographing dance moves at the tender age of eight. She is actually quite good. Had I the money, I would immediately pay for her to have formal training. However, I realize gifted souls often need no training. We rise when it is our time to rise simply because we can do nothing else and be satisfied. Watching her makes me realize that I too can dance. Over the years, I have had moments of dancing bliss. Where I felt good. Free. Complete through the Spirit of my Dance. Recently, a good friend of mine and I were out and began dancing to some Turkish music. We owned the dance floor. Now, she is an accomplished dancer and fluid in many forms. We danced to a couple very long songs. At the end, many complimented us on our dance and asked if we were Turkish because we had danced to their music so well. I was amazed. I am NOT a good dancer, I replied somewhat amused and bewildered. What had made that moment different. ME! You see, my anxiety was gone. As I had entered this space, I had attempted to sit on a chair that was further back then I realized. Yup, you guessed, I landed on the floor. So, there was nothing left to worry about being embarrassed. The worst had happened. Everyone had laughed. And the music continued on. I love music. I love to dance. At thirty three I realize, that is what matters. My joy! I have become an island unto myself. I love to dance!!

1 comment: